In the wine
Make me happy
Make me feel fine
Crooner Don Ho may be long forgotten, but his lyrics will always live on in every sip we take from the greatest of all celebratory wines — Champagne.
We sip it to celebrate job promotions, a new babies, warm welcomes with friends, as an aperitif or pair it with seafood, foie gras or fresh fruit. It is versatile, seductive, sexy and we simply do not enjoy enough of this wonderful wine.
In Canada — from Nova Scotia to B.C., from Niagara to Prince Edward County to Lake Erie North Shore — bubbly is a good idea for any winery’s portfolio. And though we can’t call it Champagne outside of Champagne, it’s generally made in the same style but often with a lot of interesting twists.
Nova Scotia bubbles
The only grapes allowed in Champagne are chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier, and while Canadian wineries often use those same grapes, there is much more diversity in our styles. From sparkling gewurztraminer and riesling (even sauvignon blanc) to styles made with a shot of icewine, we’ll explore them all — sweet, dry and rose — as we sip good old tiny bubbles Canadian style.
This is the fourth in our series of Twitter Twastings, following up from 2002 cab-merlot, pinot gris and viognier. But we think you’ll agree, this is our liveliest tasting yet!
Join us on Twitter using the hashtag #tinybubbles beginning at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 2, and see if you agree with our assessments. Here are the wines we’ll be tasting at Canoe. Grab a bottle and join in!
• 13th Street Cuvee Rose NV
• Lacadie Vineyards Prestige Brut (TM) 2007 (Nova Scotia)
• Lacadie Vineyards Organic Cider 2008
• Chateau des Charmes Estate Bottled Brut NV
• Chateau des Charmes 2008 Rose
• Sumac Ridge Sparkling Rose NV (Oka)
• Jackson Triggs Methode Classique 2006 (Ont.)
• Sumac Ridge Sparkling Gewurztraminer NV (Oka)
• See Ya Later Ranch SYL Brut NV (Oka)
• Sumac Ridge Steller’s Jay Brut 2006 Methode Classique (Oka)
• Vineland Estate Riesling 2008
• Hinterland Rose 2008 (PEC)
• Konzelmann Sparkling Rose
• Cave Spring Blanc De Blanc
• Henry of Pelham Catharine Rose
• Benjamin Bridge Blanc de Noirs2004 (Nova Scotia)
• Benjamin Bridge Brut Reserve 2004 (Nova Scotia)
• Summerhill Cipes Rose Pinot Noir (BC)
• Summerhill Cipes Vintage 2008 (BC)
• Rocky Creek Winery Katherine’s Sparkle 2009 (Vancouver Island)
• Blue Mountain Brut NV (BC)
• Fielding Estate Riesling Brut (ont)
• Magnotta Classic Vidal 2008 (Ont)
• Magnotta Brut 2009 (Ont)