It has been estimated that a full quarter of all sparkling wine in the world is consumed between Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
How crazy is that? And silly, really. It’s such a lovely drink year-round, no matter the celebration or mood.
There is no doubt the mad crush of finding a decent bottle of bubbly is upon us, in fact, if you haven’t already stocked up by now, your choices have diminished significantly.
But, fear not, Wines In Niagara has scoured the LCBO website to see what they have (or had) in stock in terms of Ontario bubbly that we have tasted and can recommend for your New year’s celebration. We are quite confident that you will be able to find something from this list — after all, there are 24 suggestions ranging in price from $14 to $45 in myriad styles.
So, in no particular order, here are the Ontario sparkling wines we can recommend from what was listed on the LCBO website as of this week.
Wine hack: If you are near wine country, you have a far better chance of hitting up your favourite winery for a great bottle of bubbly than your nearest LCBO/Vintages. Just saying!
• Henry of Pelham Cuvée Catharine Rosé Brut ($30)
• Henry of Pelham Cuvée Catharine Brut ($30)
• Henry of Pelham Cuvée Catharine Carte Blanche Estate Blanc de Blanc 2012 ($45)
• Cave Spring Blanc de Blancs Brut Sparkling ($28)
• Chateau des Charmes Brut Méthode Traditionelle ($25)
• Chateau des Charmes Rosé Sparkling 2014 ($20)
• Chateau des Charmes Méthode Traditionelle Blanc de Blancs 2014 ($33)
• Peller Estates Ice Cuvee ($35)
• Trius Brut ($27)
• Trius Brut Rose ($30)
• Tawse Spark Limestone Ridge Sparkling Riesling 2015 ($19)
• Tawse Spark Brut Sparkling 2014 ($25)
• Creekside The Trad Reserve Sparkling 2011 ($18)
• Jackson-Triggs Entourage Grand Reserve Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc ($30)
• Jackson-Triggs Entourage Grand Reserve Brut 2014 ($30)
• Rockway Vineyards 9 Pink ($14)
• Hinterland Whitecap ($22)
• Hinterland Ancestral Sparkling ($25)
• Vineland Estate Sparkling Pinot Meunier Reserve 2015 ($25)
• Flat Rock Cellars Riddled Sparkling 2010 ($35)
• Featherstone Joy Premium Cuvée Sparkling 2012 ($33)
• Featherstone Joy Premium Cuvée Sparkling Rosé 2015 ($30)
• 2027 Cellars Queenston Road Vineyard Blanc de Blancs 2013 ($30)
• Peller Signature Series Ice Cuvée Rosé ($36)